Notes from Charlie Duff!

Because we are totally radical, we made some notes. But probably not very good ones.

CHRU 3 meeting 1

Attending: Ailsa, Jon, Peter, Charlie, Mervyn, Gareth

Overview of last time
How much different and how much the same?

More formats needed - fishbowl etc
Pecha kucha is here to stay!

Mix it up - perhaps each time slot a different format

Suggestions: Artists? Live interaction? Live stream? Other formats? Drama? Graffitti artists?

Shout out to the community for creative skills

We need an icebreaker - world cafe networking

Decorate the space – zones? Beach, gym, office, garden...

Bring in unemployed etc to talk about the sharp end of HR - reconnecting must to the purpose of what we do.

How can we add more depth? 
Pre-planning on tracks for deeper tracks advertised beforehand so there is some idea of what we will discussed. Outline of themes beforehand - electronic version of the grid?

Start this early – will help with sales etc

Political edge
Try to change something - publish paper etc - lobby
Unemployability

Our own community had been hit - their stories. Self employment, etc

Actions
Alisa- talk to Darius, bring in young people etc

Gareth - Investigate types of format, publish on the NingNangNong

Themes

Post apocalypse HR - after the riots

New ways to engage
How can HR take action
Anarchist HR
Immigration cap

The four HR horsemen...
The HR spring

What to do differently?

The un-structure
World cafe for icebreaker - ask a question each time, not so much for populating grid
Quickly grid, will be part populated already
Five different formats – one for each session
Energiser after lunch

Is there a demand for a social media surgery?

Community to develop something - data gathering, HR and technology, workshop, white paper

Case study: ConnectingHR changed my life

Suggestions?

Reach out to community again for icebreakers

Choral suggestion
on boarding of newbies

Marketing and the tickets debate

Give a discount for 'plus 1' invite - discount for 2 – bring someone not part of the crowd
Community needs to work harder to spread the word – we're looking at you, there

Practitioner must be one of the tickets

We should target a few people - Gareth seems to know a load of people, so he can do some of that. Any superstar HR requests, throw them in the forum

Suggestion:

Single tickets? £85 - £100 – if we sell singles at all...

2 people £150 by 5 Oct
200 after

More you bring the better! Whole HR teams etc
Group tickets?
Supplier/practitioner/commentator system

Gareth will finalise this....

Charlie - get us Media partners (will get on this asap)

Roles

Chief poet - Neil
Chief busker - Doug
Coordinator with Darius - Ailsa
MC - Charlie
World cafe - Mervyn
Grid – Jose? Yet to be consulted

Responsibilites

Marketing - Gareth
Media partnerships - Charlie
Event rite management - Gareth
Shopping - Mervyn
HR cupcakes - Charlie and anyone else who wants to
Follow up masters and wrap up at the end - Gareth and Jon

Technology
Ning
ConnectingHR.Ning.com
Gareth migrating people over by email invite

Special Ning community discounts
5% discount for profile set up by sept (two weeks)
Top ten points on Ning get 'most influential' badge on the day
Disorganising pixies will lead Ning
Once a week at least participation required! So be warned!

Thanks everyone for attending!

Tags: #chru3, unconference

Views: 423

Replies to This Discussion

Great notes! If we wanted to link up with unemployed in a more structured way, we could also potentially talk to the Prince's Trust. Informa is doing some work with them at the moment - maybe we could do a fundraising initiative or get involved in their mentoring programmes.

Great idea Ali - I really like that. Do you have any contacts if we decide to go that way? The other thing we were discussing was whether we could supoprt some of the work that the Spring does itself. I will talk to Darius and report back.

Yes I do have contacts with them - I can explore some possibilities with them if you would like, so we have a clear sense of the types of things we potentially could get involved in. Depending on how people feel, it may even be worthwhile doing both initiatives (ie Darius and the Prince's Trust) - I imagine they will be quite different in what the activities are likely to be and may well appeal to different people.

Anyway let me know if you'd like me to look into this further.

A x

Hi - from my pov that would be great - I think if we have something to generate discussion then we will be more credible. What do others think?

Ax

Hi Both!  Ok, i think thats a great idea.  Shame we dont have more time as, with my marketing hat on, we could do something really nice with it.  However, cut our cloth accordingly as they say!  It would be nice to move something forward for Darius too as we have mentioned it before but not sure we actually followed through :S.  

Also, re general theme etc, Mervyn posted an excellent article on twitter which touched on some of the themes we discussed in the pub.  Ill post it as a fresh comment in here - be good to get your views.

Hi, Mervyn pointed me to a great article that covered some of the themes we covered in the pub.  It is certainly thought provoking. Take a look and let me know what you think.

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/OPINION/09/07/rushkoff.jobs.obsolete/in...

really interesting and just what we were getting at....

I see my name there...happy to help :-) 

What a lot of great ideas - you must have had some stimulating beverages :-)

• Really like the invite + 1 idea.  I'm on it - I'm very much hoping my super-wonderful manager, Bernadette Doyle, will be coming with me.  Anthony Allinson, who came with me last time, loved it. And I think it is so much easier for someone who is new to the whole thing to come along with someone else - they will be introduced to people, and generally will feel more comfortable about it.
  • Like the five different formats.  I.e. do you mean a time slot where there are ONLY Pecha Kuchas on, for example?  If so, great idea.  Simpler to facilitate and simpler for new folk to get the hang of what's happening when.
  • Icebreakers and energisers - agree but I always prefer them to be integrated and relevant...as seamless as possible. Not 'training-y'.   E.g. at start it could be something fairly simple to help us meet each other. 
  • How about some kind of klaxon, bell or sound thing (needs to be a bit tongue in cheek, not bossy) for regrouping at the end of sessions?
  • I would have thought there would be a demand for a social media surgery - both times I've been there have been people who haven't yet used Twitter etc, (or a Ning this time), and so a hands on session is bound to get takers.
  • Really like the idea about stories from our own community. Michael Carty's guest blog posts for 'My Year in HR so far' are great.  Would this be a good stream for the Unconference - to ask people to Pecha Kucha or similar, their stories of 2011.  It wouldn't matter if some were the same people as in Michael's blog - a verbal account will be quite different from a written one.
  • And the HR cupcakes....I'm up for that.

Hi All

I had an exploratory chat with Amy from the Prince's Trust today and in principle there is loads that we can do to get involved. She was quite excited by the potential collaboration and is going to come back to me with some firm ideas later on this week. It might quite helpful to have a face-to-face meeting with them to progress some of these ideas, which I'm happy to do or to get others involved in, as appropriate. Also, if I'm going off on a massive tangent here and others are less keen, please let me know!

Some of the potential collaboration ideas are as follows -

• they are doing a UK City Riots Appeal currently to raise funds for young people most affected by the recent riots
  • they would really value some help and input on HR issues such as employee engagement, leadership, keeping abreast of the HR agenda, understanding better how to interact and engage with the HR community
  • if we are keen they could come and talk at the Unconference
  • we could get involved in volunteering and mentoring initiatives such as becoming business mentors for young people 
  • we could take part in fundraising initiatives
  • they facilitate days of group voluteering - kind of like community work I guess
  • I recall that they are also really interested in learning and development intiatives and potentially people who can roll-out one-off training courses

I know there are a huge amount of ideas here and we would absolutely have to narrow them down to the ones we really wanted to focus on. Where our passion and ideas sometimes overtake our commitment to buckle down and really deliver, working with a structured organisation could be very helpful in enabling us to balance things.

Anyway let me know what you think - I will give you more updates as I have them.

Alison

Hi Alison - this looks great.  I think working with someone like this would provide a good structure as you say.  I think if they could come along and present/facilitate a session that would be very good and from there, we can get buy in from the attendees to support them, say in the mentoring initiatives or input on the HR issues.  I think this could work.

Hi

Alison - you've hit it right on the head with those points - particularly the Post Riot idea - we were talking about that at the planning session and it seems to me to be highly topical and relevant.

I will get in touch with Darius (Gareth do you have his email address?) I think we should still pursue that channel as we support the facility aleady by using it.

Who is the team on the day? Alison, Flora & Jose participating? Hope so!

Ax

RSS

© 2014   Created by Gareth Jones.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service